Please join Consumer Financial Services Partner Chris Willis and his guests and colleagues Ashley Taylor and Stefanie Jackman in the first episode of a special four-part series about recent developments with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). In this episode, topics discussed include:
- Historical background about the cooperation between the CFPB and state attorneys general;
- Efforts by the CFPB under its new leadership in the current administration directed toward cooperation with state attorneys general;
- Differences between CFPB and state attorneys general enforcement investigations;
- Areas where states may take up the CFPB’s invitation to investigate issues under federal law that they might not have done before; and
- How we think the state attorneys general will find those cases to investigate.
Regulatory Investigations, Strategy + Enforcement (RISE) Partner Ashley Taylor focuses his practice primarily on federal and state government regulatory and enforcement matters involving state attorneys general, the CFPB, and the Federal Trade Commission. Drawing upon his experience as a deputy attorney general, Ashley has developed an extensive consumer practice with regard to the consumer financial services industry, including advising debt buyers, debt collectors, payment processors, credit reporting agencies, and auto finance companies on regulatory and compliance issues. His deep involvement with attorneys general organizations, including the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG), allows him to stay on the forefront of emerging issues that affect businesses across the U.S. on a daily basis.
Consumer Financial Services Partner Stefanie Jackman focuses a significant portion of her practice on providing compliance-related advice to her clients. She regularly counsels clients on conducting compliance assessments relating to their debt collection, credit reporting and dispute resolution processes, fair lending and underwriting, and vendor oversight, as well as the functionality of their overall compliance management system.
Transcript: Keeping Up With the Bureau Episode 1: Overview of CFPB and State AG Initiatives/Expansion (PDF)
Keeping Up With the Bureau Episode 2: FCRA Preemption Issues, Infringing State Laws, and the CFPB’s Position
Keeping Up With the Bureau Episode 3: Evolving Federal and State Requirements for Furnishers and Users of Consumer Reports
Keeping Up With the Bureau Episode 4: Hot Topics in Collections: Fees, Reg F Landscape, and What’s Next