Join us on Wednesday, March 13th, 2:00-3:00 pm (EST), as we take a closer look at recent developments in class action litigation. Along with proposed legislative changes working their way through Congress, we’ll touch on the following topics to help you effectively manage the litigation:
- Arbitration Agreements – Schein v. Archer and White Sales, Inc., the Supreme Court unanimously held that a court is not allowed to decide whether a dispute is subject to arbitration when the contract delegates that question to the arbitrator
- Amendments to Rule 23 – discussion of proposed changes
- Rule 23 Developments – exploring key decisions under Fed. R. Civ. P. 23, including the contrast between the Third Circuit approach and the Ninth Circuit approach on ascertainability
- Class Action Waivers – Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis, a case decided by the Supreme Court on how two federal laws relate to whether employment contracts can legally bar employees from collective arbitration
- Cy Pres Awards – Frank v. Gaos, currently on appeal before the Supreme Court concerning the practice of cy pres settlements in class action lawsuits
- Litigation Funding – Ethics, Enforceability and Discoverability
- Tolling – China Agritech Inc. v. Resh, the Supreme Court held that American Pipe does not provide tolling for subsequent class actions in federal question cases
Cindy D. Hanson, Partner
David N. Anthony, Partner
Kiran H. Mehta, Partner
William N. Withrow, Partner
Scheduling conflict? Register to receive a recording following the webinar.
1 hour of CLE credit is pending.
Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit for this program is currently pending in multiple jurisdictions. CLE processing by state bars requires up to 90 days to receive approval; for those licenses in California; Illinois, New York, and/or New Jersey, certificates will be distributed within 7-10 business days. If you have questions, please contact our Professional Development department at CLEManagement@troutman.com.